The two boys were among three culprits to be given youth cautions earlier this year after the incident between 6.35pm and 7pm on Tuesday, June 11. In an emotionally charged meeting last Monday the boys apologised to the lorry driver who showed them photographs of the shattered windscreen of his cab after one of the bricks they threw landed on the passenger seat next to him.
Police said at the time the attack could have caused “carnage” after bricks were thrown either from the verge or the footbridge onto passing motorists.
The meeting, organised by the youth offending service, was part of a controversial exercise in restorative justice which coincides with Restorative Justice week (November 17 - 24).
The driver, who agreed that your Worcester News could use his first name, Dean, said: "I was pleased to be able to take part in the meetings and was happy with the process and how it was dealt with. I now feel this was the right decision for the young people not to go to court. I think the young people have learnt from their actions and have taken on board the gravity of the offence and they are very remorseful.
“Initially I blamed the parents for what had happened, but having taken part in the meetings where the parents were involved I can see that it wasn't the parents’ fault. I believe the young people are serious about not re-offending and I wish them well for the future.”
The mother of one of the boys who was 11 at the time but has since turned 12 said: “It was quite an experience. Whatever my son did, it was a mistake and he did admit it. They did realise it was a mistake but they didn’t stop. After all the police intervention, after all everyone has been through throughout the summer, my son really learned a lesson.” She said officers from the youth offending team had been to her home and talked to her son because one of the victims was willing to meet him.
She said: “He did realise it could have had worse consequences. I hope he has learned a lesson and is not going to do that again.
“He was a bit nervous (about meeting the victim) but I was with him and someone from the youth offending team and the lady who was representing the victim. My son did explain what happened from his point of view and how everything happened. Then the victim showed pictures of the damage which made an impression on him. It was not until he saw the damage he realised he, together with the others, had done something wrong. Then the man explained from his point of view how he was affected. He was sad and upset and he wanted to know how my son felt about it. My son apologised and said he will use better judgment next time.” She said since it had happened her son was less willing to go out with his friends and stayed in more playing on his Xbox. “I was surprised and shocked that he did it. We did have to speak to him again and again so he understands the gravity of the situation. He was grounded afterwards. The lorry driver was a very nice person and my son handed him a letter of apology. They shook hands and everything went fine” she said.
Read the full article.